Saturday, February 12, 2022

The Runaways

                        


                          The Runaways

 


Dedicated to my childhood best friend, Melissa Miller. She arrived into my life mysteriously in the middle of the night, June 1984, and just as mysteriously moved away, December 27, 1984. 


 Melissa, wherever you are, I hope you're living your happy life. 


  


"Wake up. It's time to go." Marie shook her 8-year-old daughter. 


The girl yawned and brushed her sandy blonde hair out of her eyes. "I'm sleepy."


"I know, sweetheart, but we have to go. We're not safe here."


The girl touched the bruise on her cheek. Her father had come home drunk again. When he started beating his wife, the girl had tried to save her mother, but was backhanded. 


The girl climbed out of bed and hurriedly dressed. She noticed her clothes and her favorite toys were gone.  "Where's fump bunny?" she asked worriedly.


"Don't look so sad. Your stuffed bunny is in the backseat along with a pillow and blanket for the long drive. Hurry now, we don't have much time." Her mother quickly glanced at her watch. "If we leave now, we will get to our new home by 3 a.m."

 

"Where are we going, Mommy?" the girl asked as she climbed into the backseat of their beat-up Buick. 


Her mother sighed as she watched her daughter fasten her seat belt. "Don't worry about that. Remember, you can't use your real name anymore. Do you remember your new name?"


"Melissa… Melissa Miller." The girl yawned and fell asleep. 



Marie pulled into the driveway of their new home and turned off the car. "OK, sleepyhead, we're here."

Melissa slowly opened her eyes and grabbed her rabbit. The simple two-story yellow house looked old but sturdy. Maybe it won't be so bad once the sun comes up.


"There's a bedroom upstairs ready for you. Why don't you go on up? We can bring things in later," her mother said softly. 



The next morning the bright June sun shone through Melissa's window onto her little face. She pulled her pillow over her head, but the smell of waffles tickled her nose. I may as well get up. The little girl found all her clothes neatly put away. After dressing, she went on a search for her mother. 


"Ah, there you are, sunshine. I was wondering if you'd be up in time for breakfast," her mother said, smiling as she placed a plate of waffles, eggs and bacon in front of her daughter. 


Melissa dove right into her food. 


Her mother took a dainty bite before speaking. "After breakfast, I'm sure you'll want to ride your bike."


Melissa dropped her fork and looked at her with confusion. "Momma, how did all our things get here?"


Maria sighed and sat back. "I've been planning this for a long while. I brought a few things here once a week."


"When? When did you bring them? Why didn't you tell me?"


"I brought them over while you were at school and I knew daddy would be working overtime. Remember those days you had to stay with the neighbor after school?"


Melissa nodded. 


"I didn't tell you because I didn't want your father to find out where we were. I wasn't going to leave until school started, but when he hit you, well, I knew time had run out."


"Momma? Can I have a knife?"


"What in heaven for?"


"To protect you. I don't want daddy to ever hit you again."


"Don't worry about such things. Why don't you go ride your bike?"



Melissa found her bike by the porch. After her mother showed her the boundaries, she took off, back and forth on her block. When she got to the corner, she saw a little girl about her age watching her from across the street. Melissa turned her bike around and rode to the other corner. She stopped and looked back. The girl was just sitting on her front steps, watching her. 


Melissa turned her bike around and rode back to the corner. Now the strange girl was standing on the step, watching. Back and forth Melissa rode her bike. Each time she got to the corner where the strange girl was, the girl would have moved a bit closer to the street. Finally she was standing on the curb. 


"Hi!" Melissa yelled. 


The strange girl's blue eyes widened. She turned and ran back to her house and went inside. 



Every time she'd ride her bike, the strange girl would be watching. Never speaking, just watching. This ritual went on for two solid weeks. It was now July 4th. 


 "Momma, can we buy some fireworks this year?"


"Honey, you know I'm struggling to find work. Maybe next year." Her mother patted the girl's shoulder. 


"I'm going out to ride my bike. I wish that girl would play with me instead of staring."


"Have patience with her, she's most likely shy."


Melissa rode her bike all day. Back and forth. Before she knew it, the sun had gone down. She froze when she saw them. The girl across the street was outside with her parents and little brother. They were lighting fireworks. 


We can't afford fireworks, but I can watch. 

After only a few minutes, she saw the children lighting sparklers. 


Oh, how I wish I could light some. 


She then saw the father walk over to the strange girl and point in her direction. She saw the girl smile brightly and nod. 


"We have extra sparklers. Do you want to join us?" the man shouted from across the street.


The question caught Melissa off guard. "Really?"


"Of course."


"I have to ask my mom."


"That's understandable. We will save some for you."


Melissa turned her bike around and rode as fast as she could past the two houses to her house. She jumped off her bike and ran into the house. "Momma, MOMMA!!"


"What's with the yelling?" Marie said as she entered the room.


"That girl's dad invited me to light sparklers with them. May I, Momma? Oh, pretty please?" she asked excitedly.


Her mom nodded. "All right, but I'll walk with you across the street.”


They left the house, and Melissa could see that the girl was overjoyed that she was coming over. The girl's father met them by the sidewalk. 


"Are you sure it's OK for my daughter to light sparklers?" 


"Absolutely. We have enough for the whole neighborhood." The man laughed. 


The strange girl crept closer to her father and smiled shyly at Melissa.


"All right then. Melissa can stay as long as someone walks her home afterwards." 


"You're welcome to stay as well," the man stated. 

Marie looked at the excitement on the strange girl's face. "No, I know Melissa is in good hands."


"Of course, and we will see that she gets home safely," the man said. 


"Thank you. Have fun, Melissa."


"Bye, Momma. I will," she replied as she took a sparkler from the man. Before she lit it, she walked over to the girl. "I'm Melissa."


"I'm Angela. I'm sorry I stared at you a lot. I wanted you to come over to play, but I was too shy to ask you."


"How old are you?" Melissa asked. 

"I'm 9 and going into the 4th grade, and you?"


"I'm 8 and going into 3rd."


"So you won't be in my class," Angela said sadly. 


"No, but we are neighbors."


That brought a smile to Angela's face. "You're right. Let's light the sparklers before my brother burns them all."



The girls laughed and giggled the whole evening. In no time the last sparkler was burned out. 


"Let me walk you home," Angela's mother said. 


"May I go too?" Angela piped up. 


"Of course."


"You are going to be my best friend," Melissa said as she took Angela's hand as they crossed the street. 


"I've never had a best friend before," Angela said matter-of-factly. 


Melissa saw her mother waiting by the front door. "Did you have fun?"


"Oh, yes, Momma. Angela is my best friend now."


"That's wonderful," Marie said as she gazed at the grinning girls. "Well, Melissa, say goodnight to your best friend. It's bedtime."


"Goodnight, Angela."


"’Night. Melissa. Oh, would you like to come over and play Barbies with me tomorrow? I only have one Barbie, one Ken and one Skipper doll, but I have a whole box of clothes for them. My Mom makes my clothes, and she uses the scraps for Barbie clothes. I go outside to play around 9 a.m. and play until it gets dark. Sometimes I eat lunch outside while I play. You can just come over whenever you want."


"That sounds fun," Melissa answered. 


"See you tomorrow."


"Bye."


Melissa closed the door while her mother started laughing. "She's pretty talkative for such a shy little thing, isn't she?"


That made Melissa laugh, as well. 


"Too bad she plays with Barbies. I'd much rather climb trees or roller skate." Melissa rolled her eyes.


Marie chuckled before saying, "Off to bed. I have a feeling your new best friend is going to keep you busy."



The next morning, Melissa was excited to play with her new friend. She was about to run out the door when her mother stopped her. "What's the rule?"


Melissa sighed before replying. "If a car drives past more than twice, run home as fast as I can."


"Right. Now, off you go."


Melissa went outside. Angela was on her front porch with a big box. "Melissa!!!" Angela greeted her happily. 


"What's in the box?" 


"My Barbie stuff. You can play with whatever you want. I'll play with whatever is left over," Angela said excitedly. 


"Aren't there any other kids in the neighborhood?" Melissa asked as she pawed through the homemade Barbie clothes. 


"Well, there's three boys that live three houses down," Angela said, pointing in the opposite direction from Melissa's house. "But Aaron and I aren't allowed to play with them. They gave my brother a black eye last week."


Melissa's eyes grew wide. 


"My mom says they're bullies. The youngest is 12, the oldest is 15."


"How old is your brother?”


"He just turned 7. They have a girl that's 11. She plays with me sometimes. Like I said, I'm not allowed to go over there anymore. There's another girl who comes over on the weekends sometimes. Her grandpa lives next door to us. I don't like her though. She stole my kitten."


"What did you do?" Melissa asked. 


"We have a playhouse out back. My uncle made a table and chairs. There's also a toy refrigerator and stove." Angela looked around to make sure no one else was around before leaning in and whispering, "I pushed her in the oven and blocked the door with the table and chairs."


"You didn't?!"


Angela nodded.


"What happened next?"


"She ran to her grandparent's house crying. I knew I was going to get into trouble, so I ran into the house and pretended to take a nap. Her grandfather brought her over and my Mom called me into the living room. She asked me if I really pushed Elizabeth into the oven. I said, ‘Yes, Mommy, we were playing Hansel and Gretel. She was the witch.’"


Melissa burst out laughing so hard tears flowed from her eyes."Your mom believed you?"


"No, but she pretended to. She knew my kitten was stolen and by whom. She just let it go. Afterwards she gave me a stern talking to."


Melissa started laughing all over again. "Angela, you're funny." She stood up suddenly. 

"I got to go!"


"WHY?” Angela yelled as her friend ran across the street.


 Melissa ran into her house and let the door bang shut. "Momma, I saw a red car drive by three times."


"Did you recognize the driver?"


"No, Momma."


"I need you to stay inside the rest of the day," Marie said as she peeked out the window. 



"Why do you have to run home whenever cars drive by?" Angela asked a few weeks later as they walked home from the ice cream parlor down the street.


"If a car drives by more than twice, I have to go home. It's the rule," she said between licks of her chocolate ice cream cone.

 

"Why?" Angela said before taking a bite of her mint chocolate chip cone. 


Melissa just shrugged. "Want to come over and play?" she asked, trying to change the subject. 


"Sure."


The girls finished their cones, and took off running for Melissa's house. 


"Momma, I'm home!"


"I see that, and I see you brought Angela over," Marie said as she looked up from her book. "I was thinking, school starts next week. I need to get you registered."


Melissa made a face. "Momma, can you get my dollhouse out? I know Angela would love playing with it."


Marie smiled and walked to the closet. 


"My grandpa made this dollhouse before he died. My aunt gave it to my Mom."


Marie walked out with the biggest wooden Victorian dollhouse Angela had ever seen. 


"THREE FLOORS? And an attic?" Angela exclaimed in glee. 


The furniture and dolls were all Victorian. 


"This is the nicest dollhouse I've ever seen. May I play with it?" Angela asked excitedly.


"Of course you may. Just be very careful with it," Marie said as she sat the dollhouse on the floor. 


Something outside the house made Marie freeze. "QUICK! LAY ON THE FLOOR," Marie shouted as she turned off the lights. "Stay still and quiet," Marie whispered as she joined the girls on the floor. 


Melissa expected the door to be kicked in and her father to drag them away. Her heart was pounding so hard she felt like it was going to explode. She turned her head to see her mother crawl to the window and peek out. 


"All clear," Marie said as she stood up. "Angela, perhaps you should go home now. Melissa can play with you tomorrow."


"OK. Bye, Melissa," she said with a confused look on her face. 



 The next day, Melissa came over to play as if nothing had happened. 


"Why did we have to lie on the floor?" Angela questioned. 


"My mom is nuts. That's all. Hey, school will be starting Monday. Want to walk with me?"


"Of course I do. But I better ask my mom," Angela replied. "Wait here, and I'll go ask."


A few moments later, Angela came back out with her Mom. 


"Is your mother home?" Becky asked Melissa. 


"Yes."


Becky smiled as she headed towards Melissa's house. Melissa and Angela looked at each other before jumping up and heading across the street. 


"I'll go in and get her," Melissa said as she ran into the house. "Momma, Angela's mom wants to talk to you."


Marie went to the door. "I hope Melissa hasn't caused any trouble," she said as she opened the door to allow the guests in. 


"Oh, no, Melissa is fine. While the weather is good, I allow my children to walk to school, and Melissa is welcome to walk with them. When the weather is bad, I drive them. Since I'll be out anyway, Melissa is more than welcome to ride to school with us."


Marie sighed with relief. "I was worrying about her walking to school in bad weather. I can pay you to take her. I don't have much, but I can give you something."


"No, no, no. Please don't. I'm going that way anyway."


"Well, thank you. That would be great."

 


"My parents are looking for a new house," Angela said out of the blue one day a few days before Thanksgiving.. 


"You're moving?" Melissa asked in shock.


"Not yet. They're just looking. I hope I can still go to our school. I don't want to move somewhere else."


"Well, I hope you don't move either. So, what are you asking Santa for?" Melissa asked. 


"I really want a record player, but that's too expensive. My parents don't have the money for that."


"Santa brings presents, so it wouldn't matter if your parents can afford it or not."


"Your Mom didn't tell you?" Angela asked in shock. 


"Tell me what?"


"Parents have to PAY Santa for the gifts. That's why some kids don't get anything, and others get more than they need. Parents tell Santa how much they can afford, and he keeps it in the price range. On Christmas Eve, they wait up for Santa so they can pay him," Angela stated matter-of-factly. 


Melissa cocked her head and thought for a moment before answering. "That makes perfect sense." I wonder if that's true. 



At dinner that night Melissa was quieter than usual. 


"Everything OK?"


"Yes, Momma. Angela said something about Santa and I don't know if it's true or not."


Marie started to frown. Please, don't let her have destroyed Santa for my baby.


"Momma, Angela said that parents have to pay Santa for gifts. She said that they tell Santa how much money they have, and he brings presents that cost that much. Momma, I thought Santa's gifts were free. Angela said that’s why some kids get everything they want and others don't."


Marie sighed in relief, and gave a chuckle. That is a brilliant explanation,. Marie thought. "It's true. Parents do have to pay Santa."


"It makes sense. Momma, how much money can you give Santa this year?"

"Don't you worry about that."



One Saturday morning, there was an urgent knocking at the door. 


"I'll get it, Momma."


"Make sure you look to see who it is first."


"Yes, Momma." Melissa peeked out, and pulled open the door. Angela was standing on the porch, crying hysterically. "Angela, what's wrong?"


Angela was so upset, she could barely speak. 


"Don't cry, Angela," Melissa said as she pulled her friend into the warm house. 


After a few moments, Angela finally calmed down enough to talk. "My parents bought a new house. It's in another town. I'll have to go to a new school," she said with her lip quivering. 


Melissa felt tears fill her own eyes. "When are you moving?"


"The day after Christmas. I will start the next semester at my new school." Angela started crying all over again. 


"Don't cry. We still have two weeks."



Angela spent less and less time with Melissa as the two weeks passed. She was busy helping with the move. 


"Why don't you go over and ask if you can help?" Marie asked one day as she noticed her daughter gloomily staring out the window.


Melissa smiled and took off running to Angela's house. 


"I was wondering if you could use some help boxing things up?" Melissa asked when Becky opened the door. 


Becky smiled.


"Angela will be happy to see you. She's in her room packing."


Melissa walked to Angela's room. "Need some help?" 


Angela looked up, and tears fell down her cheeks. She only nodded as she continued to pack up her toys. 


They worked in silence. Neither one knew what to say. 


As Angela pulled out the box of Barbie things, she reached in and pulled out her only Barbie. She gave the doll a hug before handing it over to Melissa. "I want you to have her. To remember me by," Angela whispered. 


Melissa only nodded as her own tears began to fall. "I'll name her Angela, and keep her for always," she choked out as she gently caressed her friend's most prized possession.

"I'm going to miss you," Melissa added. 


Angela cried and she hugged her very first friend. 


"Hey, tomorrow's Christmas," Melissa said, trying to change the subject. 


"My parents, brother and I are spending tonight at our new house. We don't have furniture yet, but we're going to sleep in sleeping bags on the floor in the dining room."


"Sounds fun. Oh, the day after Christmas, please come by and show me your favorite gift."


Angela looked quizzically at her friend. 


"I just don't want you to leave without saying goodbye." Melissa gently wiped another tear from her cheek. 


"I'd NEVER do that."



The day after Christmas, Melissa noticed the U-Haul in Angela's driveway. "Momma, may I go over to Angela's?"


Marie looked out to see furniture being packed in the trailer. 


"Only if she's outside. I don't want you being in the way."


Melissa grabbed her coat and ran to the corner. She smiled, thinking of the times she'd ridden her bike back and forth, trying to get the girl across the street to play with her. Now she didn't really want to go over there. She knew it would be the last time she'd see her friend. 


She saw Angela come out the door and stare at her. Melissa waved, and Angela ran back inside. Melissa laughed. Just like the first time we met. 


Angela quickly ran back outside holding a square object.


"You got a record player. Your parents must've paid Santa a bundle for that one."


Angela laughed. "Oh, this isn't from Santa. My aunt and uncle gave it to me. I also got a Barbie Corvette from my other aunt and uncle, and a new Ken doll from my grandparents."


"Wow, your family must love you a lot."


"They do."


Becky walked up to the girls. "Angela, say your goodbyes. It's time to go," Becky said gently. 


Angela stared at Melissa, not able to speak. The tears threatened to fall again. "Here," Angela managed to say as she pushed a piece of paper into Melissa's hand. 


Melissa read it.


"It's our new address and phone number. My Mom said you can call whenever you want." 


Melissa shoved the paper into her pocket, and threw her arms around Angela. Both girls were crying as Angela let go and climbed into the backseat of their car. 


Melissa walked across the street and waved until she could no longer see the car following the U-Haul. 



 "Melissa, sweetheart, you've been standing here for fifteen minutes. Come on inside. I have some cookies out of the oven and some hot chocolate waiting for you," Marie said quietly as she put her arm around her heartbroken daughter. "Come on, let's get you warmed up." She sighed. 


Melissa leaned into her mother, crying bitterly as she was led home. 


"What's this?" Marie asked as a slip of paper fell from Melissa's coat pocket. 


"It's Angela's address and phone number," she replied numbly. 


She followed her mother into the kitchen where a plate of cookies and two mugs sat. 

Melissa sat down with a sigh. The hot chocolate and cookies did little to lift her spirits. 


"Perhaps you can call Angela tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure she'd like that."


Melissa's eyes widened with surprise. "Thanks, Momma. That makes me feel better."


Marie sighed. 


"This is probably all for the best. I have some news for you."


"What is it, Momma?" Melissa asked before taking a bite from her cookie. 


"We're moving too."


Melissa dropped her cookie. "WHAT? WHEN? WHERE?"


"You know I have a sister. She's discussed our predicament with the community she lives in. They have agreed to allow us to move there."


Melissa chewed her cookie thoughtfully for a moment. 


"We will be driving to Boston where a friend will meet us. We'll be leaving the day after tomorrow."


"What about our car? Will we be renting a U-Haul too?" 


Marie took a breath before explaining. "We aren't bringing everything. Just what can fit in a suitcase or two. We are renting a car and leaving our car here."


Melissa looked around at their sparse furniture. Her eyes landed on her dollhouse. "Oh, Momma, may we bring my dollhouse?"


"I can't make promises."


Melissa brainstormed. "Momma, wouldn't it fit in the trunk? We could put the suitcases on the backseat with me." 


"We shall see. I'll make a call to the friend picking us up, and ask if it's OK.”

 

"May I tell Angela we're moving?"


Marie studied her daughter. "All right, but only that we're moving to Boston. Nothing else."



The next afternoon, Melissa took a deep breath, and with shaky fingers dialed Angela's number.


"MELISSA!! I'm so glad you called. I miss you," Angela said excitedly. 


"I missed you too. I have some news."


"Really, what?"


Melissa tried to swallow the lump in her throat. "We're moving to Boston."


"When?" Melissa heard Angela sniffle. 


"Tomorrow."


For a few moments Melissa heard nothing but silence. Then she heard it. Angela was softly crying. 


"I have your address, and I will keep in touch," Melissa reassured her. 


"Promise?" 


"Promise."


Melissa heard a voice in the background. "Angela, it's time to get off the phone now."


"I have to go. My dad needs the phone. I love you, Melissa."


"I love you, too, Angela."


Melissa let the tears roll as she heard the click of the phone and then the dial tone.  She slowly hung up the receiver and headed to her room to pack. 



"Rise and shine. It's time to leave," Marie stated as she woke her daughter up. 


After rushing to dress, she grabbed the Barbie Angela had given her and hurried outside, where her mother was putting the last suitcase in the front seat. 


"Oh, Momma, what about my bike?" Melissa said as she realized she'd forgotten to ask to bring it. 


"Sorry, sweetheart. You won't need it where we're going."


"May I ride it one last time?"


Marie nodded and Melissa handed her Barbie to her mother. She got on and rode her bike in the opposite direction from Angela's old house. She rode so slowly it reminded her of the funeral procession she was in when her grandfather died. If this wasn't such a sad day, she would've laughed. She found herself at the end of the block, and turned around to ride to the other end. 


When she got to the corner, she stared at Angela's now-empty house. She closed her eyes and relived the memory of the first time they met, of Angela gradually walking to the curb and running when Melissa told her hi.  Melissa smiled through her tears. 


"Melissa, hurry up, we have to go."


Melissa rode her bike back home, took her Barbie from her mother, and climbed into the backseat. As they backed out the driveway, Melissa placed her palm on the window when they drove past Angela's old house. 

"Goodbye, my best friend."


It wasn't until they reached the Pennsylvania state line that Melissa started fidgeting. 

"NO NO NO NO!" she screamed.


"Melissa, calm down. What's wrong?" her mother asked while glimpsing in the rearview mirror. 


"Angela's address. I forgot it. We HAVE TO GO BACK!"


Marie's heart fell. "I'm sorry. We're on a time limit. We can't go back."


"But Momma, I promised." Melissa sobbed.  


"Where we're going, you'll find plenty of girls to play with."


"Won't be Angela," Melissa grumbled. 



"You must be Marie and Melissa." A man dressed in a suit greeted them at the car rental. 


Marie smiled. "Peter?"


"Yes, I'm here to take you home. Are you ready?" 


"We have our things in the car, and I need to go in and give back the keys."


"Well, I have a van over there. Why don't Melissa and I load up while you go in?"


Marie nodded and popped the trunk before heading inside. 


Peter gave a low whistle at the dollhouse. "That's quite some toy you have. Thankfully there will be plenty of help to carry it down."


Carry it DOWN? Melissa questioned silently.



Melissa and Marie were exhausted by the time they entered the tunnels. 


Two men approached the trio. "We're here to help carry things."


"All we really need carried is the dollhouse," Marie said. 


"Wow, that's amazing. I think you're going to be very popular, young lady," one of the men said as he picked up one side. 


The other man picked up the other side and started walking to their new chamber. 


As they passed the living chambers, several girls were on their way to class. They froze in amazement at the sight of the dollhouse being carried. They didn't see the girl following until after the men with the dollhouse passed. 


The girls fell in step with Melissa. 


"Would you mind if we played with it sometime?" one girl shyly asked. 


"Of course. As long as you're careful."


The girls were excitedly chatting away as they walked into the chamber. 


Mary was placing a new quilt on the smaller bed when the group walked in. "Oh, Sarah, I'm so glad you're here," Mary exclaimed as she hugged her sister. Mary then noticed the girls. "Aren't you supposed to be in class?" 


"You're right. Come on. We're late," one girl said in shock.


 The girls ran out of the chamber to class.


"Momma, Aunt Mary used your real name. Is it OK to use mine too?"


Mary walked over and hugged her niece. "Of course you can use your real name here," Mary answered. 


Together they all walked to Father's chamber to discuss the rules. 


12 years later…


6 a.m. Sentry duty finished, and the tunnels are safe. Jamie chuckled as she grabbed her crossbow and headed back to her chamber. 

She hung the crossbow on the peg beside her bed. She quickly changed and crawled into bed. She turned over to blow out her candle when she saw her Barbie sitting on the stand next to her bed. She gently picked it up. 


"Goodnight, Angela, wherever you are," she whispered before putting the Barbie back in her place. 


Seven hundred thirty-eight miles away, in a small town in Indiana, an alarm clock went off. 


6 a.m. Already? Angela groaned and shut it off. Melissa had been on her mind quite often lately. She sat up to get ready for work.


"Good morning, Melissa. I hope you're living your happy life."

   The End


No comments:

Post a Comment

When Two Worlds Become One (2022 Conzine submission)

"Joe, that witness was lying," Catherine stated as she impatiently waited at the crosswalk.  She stomped her feet in the snow, ...