Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The Quilter 8th in the Background stories





 


The young woman stared at the doctor in surprise.  "I'm pregnant?"


 


"Congratulations!"


 


The woman frowned. If only it was that easy. 


 


"Since you’re high risk, I want you on complete bed rest. No cooking, cleaning, or lifting. Understand?"


 


Robert isn't going to like this. He expects me to take care of him. 


Instead of telling the doctor her concern, she just nodded and left the office. 




"So, what did the doctor say?" a man asked as he threw down a magazine, and stood up.  



"I'm pregnant."


 


The man laughed. "This is the sixth time. If you lose this one too, or if it's a girl, I'm gone."


 


Her face turned red when she noticed more than a few women in the waiting room staring at them. She could see the sympathy on their faces. 


 


"I know, Robert. Shouldn't we have this conversation at home?" she whispered as she tried to lead him to the door. 


 


Robert stormed out, with his wife trailing behind. 


 


A couple of the women shook their heads sadly as the couple left the office. 


 


 


"You don't want me to have a son," he accused as he stormed into their apartment. 


 


"That's not true."


 


"You lost those babies on purpose."


 


"On purpose? Are you listening to yourself? I wanted those babies as badly, if not more, than you did. I dropped out of nursing school for those babies."


 


"Like I said, if you don't carry this one to term, or if it's not a boy, I'm gone."


 


The young woman sighed as she went to the bedroom. 


 


"Where are you going?"


 


"To lie down. The doctor told me, if I want this baby, I can't cook, clean or lift. I need bed rest."


 


"Not until I get my supper."


 


The woman sighed as she headed to the kitchen. "I have to take it easy," she said as she pulled leftovers out of the refrigerator.


 


 Robert thought awhile. "OK. Fine. Have it your way. You can stay in bed until the baby is born. After that, you're back to cooking and cleaning. GOT IT?" he yelled as he grabbed his jacket. 



"Where are you going?"


 


"Out."


 


She bit her bottom lip. "Where?" 


 


"Don't worry about me. Take care of that son."



The woman sighed with relief as she placed her hand on her abdomen. 


"Don't pay him no mind, little one. Your momma is here."


 




As the months flew by, Robert was staying home less and less. That didn't bother her too much. She was relieved once she'd past the first eight months. "One more month to go, little one, and I will be able to see you," she said as she felt a kick. “Yes, I'm excited too."


 


She pulled a box from the closet and opened it. She smiled as she placed another little knitted outfit on top of the baby-size quilt she'd made. 


 


KNOCK KNOCK!!


 


Who could that be? 


 


When she opened the door, the neighbor lady was standing there with a huge smile on her face. "I thought you could use some more yarn."


 


"Oh, yes, I'm almost out." 


 


"I have a favor to ask you. Would you be interested in making a quilt for a baby? The nights are getting colder, and this poor newborn could use a quilt. I even have everything you need in case you say yes." She held out a paper bag full of quilt squares, needles, and thread.


 


The woman laughed as she graciously accepted the bag. "You know how to get to me. Just mention poor freezing children. If you'd told me a year ago that I'd be knitting and quilting, I would've called you crazy. It really has kept me sane these last few months. Thank you so much for teaching me."


 


"Oh, you're so welcome, anytime. Well, happy quilting," the neighbor said before she walked away. 


 


The young woman could almost see the poor baby shivering as she closed the door.  I have work to do.


 


 


She worked as if that baby's life depended on a warm quilt. Her hands flew with each stitch. When she would get tired and her hands ached, she'd picture that baby and it was enough to keep her going. She'd quilt all day and even into the night. In just a week, she'd not only made the baby quilt, but two twin-size quilts as well. 


 


"Oh, dear. I didn't expect you get this done so quickly, or so many. The children will be appreciative," the neighbor said as she lovingly caressed the quilts. 


 


"I can make more," the young woman said urgently. "If there are cold children, I have to keep them warm," she said frantically.


 


The neighbor was in shock. Is she going insane? "Listen, these will keep the children warm. The smaller ones will be able to share a quilt. Please, don't get worked up. It's not good for you or your baby."


 


 The mention of her baby instantly calmed her. "You're right. After the baby is born, I will still make quilts for those deserving people, and maybe full-sized ones for adults."


 


"Right now, you're so close to your due date. It can wait."


 


The young woman nodded. "You're right. Besides, Robert will be home today. He's going to stay here and be with me when the baby is born."




Three weeks later…


 


"One last push. You're almost there." The doctor coached the young woman through the pain.


 


She cried out one last time before hearing it: a baby’s cry. 


 


"Congratulations, you have a healthy daughter!"


 


Daughter? Oh, no… NO NO NO NO!!!



"I will go tell the proud dad," the doctor said as he left. 


 


 "Are you all right?" the nurse asked.


 


"My husband is going to be so angry."


 


"Don't worry about your husband, enjoy your new daughter," she said as she placed the baby in her arms. 


The doctor walked back in shaking his head. "I'm sorry, seems like your husband wasn't too thrilled about a daughter. He left the hospital."




Two days later, the woman was sitting in the waiting room waiting for her husband to arrive to take them home. 


 


"Um. Ma'am? I don't think he's coming. Is there anyone else I can call?" the receptionist asked. 


 


The young woman scrambled to think. "Alice. Alice will come get me," she said absent-mindedly. 


 


The receptionist walked away to make the call. 


 


Forty-five minutes later, Alice rushed into the hospital. "I came as fast as I could," she gushed as she gave her neighbor a quick hug.


 


"I didn't know who else to call."


 


"Well, you did the right thing. We will get you home soon." She smiled as she fussed over the baby.


 


 


When she got home, the door was locked. 


 


"Robert, please open the door. I know you're in there."


 


Robert eventually opened the door. The sight in front of her took her by shock. "Who is this?" The woman nodded toward a woman and a little boy sitting on the couch. 


 


"This is my girlfriend and my son. I don't need you anymore, you can get your stuff and get out."


 


 It was at that moment the baby started crying. 


 


"Shut that thing up, or I'll shut it up for you."


 


The young woman frantically tried to hush her daughter. 


Robert shook his head, walked over, yanked the baby out of the woman's arms, and flung her across the room.


 


The woman gasped as the baby hit the wall with a sickening thud.


 


"There, THAT'S how you shut her up. Now, GET OUT!"


 


The woman's tears flowed as she gently picked up her baby and fled the apartment. She ran next door and pounded on the door.


 


"What's wrong?"


 


The woman could only push her baby into Alice's arms. "She's…. not...breathing..." the woman sobbed.


 


"PETER, COME QUICK!!!" Alice screamed as she brought the baby into the apartment. 


 


Peter hurried into the room. Alice pushed the baby into Peter's arms, and then went to comfort the young woman. 


 


"Please, please, save my baby!" 


 


After a few moments, Peter looked up at the woman. "I'm sorry. Her neck is broken. She died instantly. If you'd like, I'll make the arrangements."


The woman fell to the ground, screaming her grief. Alice gently helped her onto the couch, and just held her as she cried. After a while she finally calmed down. "Where am I supposed to go now? My husband moved another woman and a boy into our apartment, and he told me to get out." She wiped her tears. 


 


 Alice and Peter exchanged knowing glances. 


 


"You remember those well-deserving friends of mine?" Alice asked. 


 


The woman nodded.


 


"I have an old colleague, his name is Jacob. He has a secret community. You're welcome there," Peter interjected. He sheepishly continued, "We've already discussed your situation."


 


Confusion crossed the woman's face. 


 


"We can hear your arguments through the walls. We knew you were a good-hearted lady, and hated that you had to deal with all of that. Come, let me take you home," Peter said as he held out his hand. 




"Father, I'd like you to meet…" Peter stopped at the sight of a desperate man holding a crying baby. 


 


"Vincent hasn't stopped crying for three straight days. I'm at a loss."


 


That's the baby quilt I made. The woman smiled gently. "Please, may I hold him?" she asked meekly. 


 


Father and Peter exchanged worried glances. 


 


"He's not a normal baby." Father said as she walked over to peek at him. 


The men held their breath as she looked at the bundle. 


 


"Please, let me try soothing him?"


 


Father reluctantly handed the crying baby to this newcomer. 


 


"Oh, my, what's the matter?" she asked as she carefully picked up the baby. Her tears slowly fell down her cheeks. A tear gently landed on Vincent's nose. He stopped crying instantly and just stared at this crying woman.


 


"She lost her two-day-old baby today," Peter whispered to Father. 


 


Father looked at this young woman with compassion. "Would you like to care for Vincent?" Father asked the woman gently. 


 


 


The woman smiled a watery smile. "I'd love to. By the way, my name is Mary."


 


The End



No comments:

Post a Comment

When Two Worlds Become One (2022 Conzine submission)

"Joe, that witness was lying," Catherine stated as she impatiently waited at the crosswalk.  She stomped her feet in the snow, ...