Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Great Hall

 



Part of the Extraordinary Voices challenge

For the majority of the year, I’m left alone. I’m not bothered often, but those times I am used? I love them. Sigh. 

Sometimes young couples will sneak here to get a few minutes alone with a picnic lunch.

I have overheard I’m great for hide and seek. Children occasionally fall asleep waiting to be found. 

Then there’s Winterfest.  Oh, Winterfest! What can I say? That’s the evening I love the most. The laughing, the catching up, the dancing, the playful teasing, and the merriment just brings me to life. 

My favorite Winterfest was four Winterfests ago. During the closing ceremony, everyone had joined hands in the circle. Before Father could open his mouth, Vincent pulled Catherine into the center of the circle. Right there in front of all his family and friends, he dropped to one knee and proposed. 

I had to strain to see, but the ring… WOW. It was a stunning crystal he had found in the Crystal Caverns. Mouse helped by making it into a ring, and he was sworn to secrecy. 

Honestly, except for the children who were too young to understand, there wasn’t a dry eye. 

Four months later, a wedding feast was held here.  It sure was a day of great celebration. Catherine looked so beautiful in her mother’s wedding dress, and Vincent was so handsome in his tux. Peter took his measurements and rented the tux for him as a wedding gift. 

The following Winterfest, it was obvious that there would be a Naming Ceremony feast held soon. Baby Jacob’s feast was held just two months later. 

I chuckle, since Vincent, unbeknownst to him, started a trend. Marriage proposals and engagement announcements are now common at Winterfest. 

Oh, and that’s not the only Winterfest trend he and Catherine started. Baby announcements are also common. 

Two Winterfests ago, Catherine announced another little one would be joining the community. Caroline Mary, Carrie for short, joined the community five months later. She was named after her two grandmothers. I had never seen Mary look more proud than when she was considered a grandmother. 

I’ve been able to watch so many babies grow into awkward adolescents and confident adults. 

I do not regret being the Great Hall. I will always be here to enjoy all the celebrations life brings us. 

  The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Two Worlds Become One (2022 Conzine submission)

"Joe, that witness was lying," Catherine stated as she impatiently waited at the crosswalk.  She stomped her feet in the snow, ...